Monday, September 1, 2008

Things that make me worry.......


Since having Mason, I have not worried about much.......until this week. Story 1 - Tuesday, I was coming home from work and got this phone call from Ben. He proceeds to tell me that he is watching a tornado form in the school parking lot and it looks like it is heading towards Mason's school. All I could think about was my little baby, who's crib is under a window, being swept away by a tornado. I immediately called his school and alerted them of the tornado......they immediately loaded the babies into beds and rolled them into the cafeteria. I was glad that Ben was able to warn me about the tornado because it had not been reported yet and none of the weather stations knew that one had just occurred....I later found out that all of the other coach's wives called their daycares and alerted them...nobody seemed to know one was coming since it had not been reported. At the time, I didn't know if I should drive straight into the line of fire and get that little baby of mine or pull over..........so, I headed towards the line of fire. Thankfully, the tornado didn't come near Mason's school and everyone was okay.....but I would say that I was extremely worried. I have never been so glad to see him! Story 2 - Wednesday, I walked into Mason's school and saw a big white sheet posted on the door. It said "A case of Stomatitis has been reported at the school". Stomatitis is similar to hand, foot, and mouth disease except for the foot and hand part. To an old pro, this may not seem scary (since they are supposed to post all outbreaks that occur in the school), but to a rookie......I was worried again. I am sure I was super annoying to his teachers asking them all sorts of questions! I know that this will not be the last time that I see a big white sheet reporting an illness posted at his school. Story 3 - Thursday evening I was holding Mason and he seemed to be pretty warm.....in addition to being congested. I had been told that these symptoms often go along with teething.....Mason's first tooth is still popping through. I didn't think too much of it and gave him Tylenol and put him to sleep. The next morning, he still seemed warm but I still gave him Tylenol and took him to school (although you aren't supposed to take them when they have a fever, I thought it was all related to teething). Around 1:30 that afternoon, I got a phone call at school telling me that Mason still had a fever and was really lethargic.....he just wasn't himself. I left school a little early and went to pick him up. I called the pediatrician and she told me to wait it out 48 hours and see how he does. This is the first time that Mason has ever been sick....it is so sad to see your baby so pitiful. The thing with him is that he plays and laughs for about 15 minutes and then is so pitiful acting. If he doesn't get any better today, I am going to take him to the doctor tomorrow (they have been closed on the long weekend). I know that there are going to be many more things that will make me worry.....I guess when it rains, it pours :) To those veteran moms that may be reading this, I know you are laughing......but to a rookie, the first time these things happen....it is scary to a new mom!

No comments: